Provide accurate interpretation of critical information between providers, clinical, or administrative team members who are seeing patients that cannot speak or understand English when interpretation services are specifically requested.
• Precisely and accurately interprets critical medical advice and information given by the provider into equivalent terminology in the patient's native language.
• Assists in translating medical text from English on behalf of internal and external customers; may translate patient education information as specifically requested.
• Establishes and maintains quality service and positive interaction with all patients, customers, visitors, health care providers, and clinical employees.
• Assists with patient follow-up as necessary, to include contacting patients with appointment reminders.
• Ability to adjust communications to fit the needs and level of understanding of the receiver.
• Maintains strict patient confidentiality in accordance with policies and standards.
• Provides occasional services outside of normal working hours on as as-needed basis.
• Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
• Fluency in relevant foreign language(s).
• Current knowledge of medical terminology and procedures.
• Ability to precisely and accurately translate critical medical information from English to the patient's native language.
• Strong interpersonal skills, flexibility, and customer service orientation.
• Foreign language(s) written translation skills.
• Listening skills.
• Ability to maintain confidentiality of records and information.
• Ability to interact and communicate with people over the telephone, often in stressful situations.
• Ability to work outside of normal working hours as needed.
People Management/Department Management/Business Unit Management:
• High level of skill at building relationships and providing excellent customer service.
• Requisite skills and ability to perform certain medical tasks as assigned
• Strong attention to detail and accuracy.
• Ability to remain calm under pressure and apply sound judgment.
• Knowledge of cultural and perceptual factors that may affect patient treatment and communication.
• Ability to utilize computers for data entry and information retrieval.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
MINIMUM EDUCATION: High school diploma or GED equivalent.
• Six (6) months of healthcare interpretation
• Successful completion of a Bilingual Entry Exam
• Current knowledge of medical terminology in English and Spanish, interpretation techniques, and communication skills.
• Demonstrated fluency in English and Spanish languages