In collaboration with patients, families (as defined by the patient), and staff across all disciplines and departments; the
Communication Specialist reports to the Director of Communications and is responsible for developing and executing communication
and media relations strategies to support the overall internal and external communication efforts for CommUnityCare in alignment
with the strategic plan. The Communications Specialist will coordinate closely with the rest of the Communications team to provide
full service, integrated communication support for strategic and operational initiatives at the direction of the Director of
Communications and senior leadership.
MINIMUM EDUCATION: Associate's Degree in Communications, Journalism, Marketing, PR or related field.
PREFERRED EDUCATION: BS in Communications, Journalism, Marketing, PR or related field.
MINIMUM EXPERIENCE: 3 years of professional experience developing content or writing for web, news or newsletters as well as handling media relations
PREFERRED EXPERIENCE: 3 years of professional experience developing content or writing for web, news or newsletters as well as handling media relations in a healthcare setting
• Support strategy, planning and execution for communication plans and programs, major organizational campaigns and
initiatives related to media relations, crisis communication, organizational communication, community relations, social media
and executive communication.
• Manage and triage media inquiries, working with providers and leadership to find the right person in a quick and efficient
• Proactively pitch healthcare stories that support the CUC mission and highlights the organization’s role in the community.
• Escort and coordinate local media, film and video crews as required. Develop and maintain relationships with local media.
• Write and distribute press releases as needed.
• Provides media training and support to providers, operations staff and leadership, as required.
• Develop a speakers bureau experts willing to do media.
• Write and compile content for newsletters, social media channels and websites. Interview experts on a variety of subjects for
print and video pieces.
• Work with the CommUnityCare team to research and pitch ideas for digital and marketing content as part of overall editorial
efforts to support the mission and strategic plan, ensuring consistency of tone, voice, brand adherence and incorporation of
• Work closely with clinics, providers and committee leads to identify and produce content that tells the CUC story through
words, picture and video, while adhering to healthcare best practices that protect patient health information.
• Assist the Communications team in integrated marketing or communication campaigns that align with the CUC strategic plan.
• Attends and provides communication support for SLT members and CEO speaking engagements,
• Assist the team by participating in community programs, events, outreach activities, trainings, meetings, etc. as requested by
supervisor, this may include activities outside of the office and outside of regular work hours.
• Demonstrate a willingness to be an active participant in initiatives that have fundamental impact on the organization.
• Performs any other duties as needed to drive the vision, fulfill the mission, and abide by the values of this organization.
• Strong understanding of digital content strategy and multi‐modal communications and the ability to take a single subject and
draft multiple communication products, adjusting tone and voice across platforms as appropriate.
• Ability to pitch and craft content as part of an over‐arching theme, within brand guidelines, or as part of a larger initiative.
• Experience with media relations, working with members of the media, or gathering information from subject matter experts
with the purpose of issuing official statements to the press or preparing subject matter experts for media inquiries.
• Strong knowledge of writing and content styles for digital and print communications.
• Experience writing in a journalistic style and familiarity with Associated Press Style.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills in order to effectively communicate with internal and external clients and
collaborators, adjusting for variation in audiences.
• Ability to write and edit with speed and accuracy to create clear, engaging, informative, and onbrand copy in conjunction with
the existing editorial team as part of an overall editorial content strategy.
• Experience with Content Management Systems
• Project management skills.
• Critical thinking/Problem solving skills.
• Ability to adapt to emerging technologies.
• Possess problem solving skills and reasoning ability.
• Maintain confidential information appropriately and exercise good judgment when communicating to the public.
• Basic video and social media skills.
• Ability to speak Spanish preferred