In collaboration with patients, families (as defined by the patient) and staff across all disciplines and departments is responsible for performing selected clinical duties including administrative/clerical duties, basic patient care and/or performing administrative tasks associated with patient intake.
• Accurately interview patient and record patient history and measure and record vital signs such as height, weight, BMI, head circumference, current medications, pulse oximetry level and patient comfort level.
• Verify patient information such as, but not limited to demographics, insurance, vitals and medications; complete intake process including verifying and entering patient data into EHR/EPM.
• Perform duties such as greeting and assisting patients in a courteous and professional manner, answer telephone and provide information as necessary, verify patient information, etc.
• Collect, perform, document, and report results of CLIA waived lab tests including, but not limited to: urine dip, pregnancy tests, finger stick blood glucose levels, fecal occult blood tests, rapid influenza tests, and rapid strep tests.
• Collect, prepare and document specimen collection including, but not limited to: blood, urine, stool, and sputum.
• Perform clinical duties as assigned including, but not limited to: preparing patients for examinations and /or treatments, assisting provider with exams or procedures, setting up exam or procedure rooms, and preparing instruments for sterilization.
• Complete pre visit planning to support the clinical visit.
• Administer medications per CUC formulary.
• Perform medical acts as prescribed by Standing Delegation Orders.
• Dismiss patient at end of clinic visit including completing the orders documented in the orders module, tasks, and patient plan.
• Participate in orientation of new employees and attend mandatory meetings.
• Work as a team member, interacting with staff, patients and providers to communicate and coordinate patient care and work flow effectively.
• Coordinate and manage patient care including communicating test results to patient, assist with pre-certifications, referrals, authorizations, prescriptions and scheduling of patients for clinic, hospital and other ancillary medical treatments and tests. Follow up on diagnostic test to ensure that test have been completed and documentation is completed in EHR.
• Perform surveillance programs to include but not limited to complete medical records including labs, authorizations, X-Rays, hospital records and any previous care pertaining to each patient visit
• Maintain a clean, functional environment including cleaning and disinfection of equipment, exam rooms and storage areas as per CUC guidelines
• As assigned, may serve as a scribe accurately and thoroughly document medical visits and procedures as they are being performed by the provider, including but not limited to the following duties:
o Patient medical history and physical exam,
o Procedures and treatments performed by healthcare professionals, including nurses and physician assistants.
o Patient education and explanations of risks and benefits.
o Provider-dictated diagnoses, prescriptions and instructions for patient or family members for self-care and follow-up
o Prepare referral letters as directed by the provider
• Perform other duties as assigned.
In addition to the Medical Assistant position responsibilities and duties, team members acting in the capacity of a Medical Assistant Lead will be responsible for the following assignments and will receive a stipend. The Medical Assistant Lead role is an assignment and not a permanent, regular position.
• As directed, may assist with monitoring patient flow and the vaccine program, as well as prepare recommendations for supply inventory and ordering and staffing schedules for review and approval by either the Charge Nurse or Nurse Manager.
• Designated as a “buddy” to provide new employees with
o a singular point of contact for general inquiries regarding day to day operational issues, such as locating resources within the unit or site, processing relevant tasks and requests, and/or accessing or interpreting company policies and procedures.
o translation of orientation activities into on the job tasks and duties relevant to the positon.
o an experienced team member familiar with our culture, attitude, and expectations who also embodies our I Promise Statement core values on a day to day basis in all interactions.
• Specialty related job responsibilities, such as sterilization or IRIS, specifically when functioning in that capacity. Competencies for specialty related job responsibilities must be completed, verified, and on file before performing work in that capacity.
• Under the direction and leadership of a champion, may assist with organizing/leading PDSA’s or other projects.
• Demonstrated knowledge of activities associated with the delivery of quality medical assistant duties.
• Demonstrated knowledge of the operation of clinical medical equipment.
• Demonstrated knowledge of specimen collection and processing.
• Demonstrated knowledge and familiarity with tools, technology, and systems typically found within most health care environments (i.e. personal computer skills, spreadsheets, word processing, patient records systems, EMR systems, etc.).
• Complete all direct and indirect care documentation in timely manner and ensure patient records are current and complete.
• Attend daily patient care (unit) huddles and periodic informational (clinic) huddles, meetings, patient conferences, or planning sessions. These may be related to quality assurance, patient care and other related topics within the clinic.
• Attend seminars and maintain certification requirements for continuing education and best practices.
• Participate in quality strategies to evaluate compliance with evidence-based guidelines, standards and to identify opportunities to improve patient outcomes.
• Ensure all tasks provided and associated with patient care, patient administrative processes and related duties such as opening clinic on time, completing CLIA controls, environment of care compliant practices, HIPPA compliant practices comply with all regulatory and accreditation standards including The Joint Commission and CommUnityCare Standard Operating Procedures and CommUnityCare Policies and Procedures.
• Complete updates on safety through the organization’s computerized education system on an annual basis.
• Develop and maintain favorable internal relationships, partnerships with co-workers, including clinical managers, clinical support staff, providers and business office staff.
• Interact respectfully and collaboratively with patients and their families, striving to develop favorable relationships with families.
• Collaborate, communicate respectfully and professionally with all members of the care team in providing patient-centered care and regarding processes and clinical issues.
• High level of skill at building relationships and providing excellent customer service.
• Requisite skills and ability to perform certain medical tasks as assigned
• Strong attention to detail and accuracy.
• Ability to utilize computers for data entry and information retrieval.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• Graduation from high school or equivalent.
• Medical Assistant Diploma and/or National Medical Assistant Certification verifying graduation from a Medical Assistant Program or equivalent military healthcare experience.
• Completion of a medical assistant externship
PREFERRED EXPERIENCE: Prefer at least of at least one year of experience as a medical assistant.
Current Health Care Provider Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) certification through American Heart Association or American Red Cross. Will be required to maintain a current CPR certification during employment.