Act as a liaison between English speaking staff and non-English speaking patients or caregivers to provide accurate interpretation of critical information between the patient and a member of their care them when interpretation services are specifically requested.
• Precisely and accurately interprets critical medical information to and from the patient and a member of their care team, using appropriate medical terminology.
• May assist patients in reading forms and educational information if requested.
• Establishes and maintains quality service and positive interaction with all patients, visitors, and other staff including health care providers, and clinical employees.
• Assists with patient follow-up as necessary, including but not limited to contacting patients with appointment reminders.
• Ability to adjust communications to fit the needs and level of understanding of the receiver.
• Maintains strict patient confidentiality in accordance with policies and standards.
• Provides occasional services outside of normal working hours on as as-needed basis.
• Performs other job-related duties as assigned.
• Oral proficiency and fluency in English and target language Adheres to the professional responsibility and ethics for an interpreter in healthcare
• Ability to professionally manage an interpretation encounter
• Cultural awareness and responsiveness
• Knowledge of cultural and perceptual factors that may affect patient treatment and communication.
• Knowledge of medical terminology and procedures.
• Strong attention to detail and accuracy
• Ability to precisely and accurately decipher critical medical information to and from English to the patient's native language using accurate medical and colloquial terminology appropriate for the encounter
• Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to build and maintain positive relationship and provide excellent customer service
• Excellent communication and listening skills.
• Ability to maintain confidentiality of records and information.
• Ability to interact and communicate with people in person, over the telephone, or via video.
• Ability to remain calm under pressure and/or in stressful situations and apply sound judgement and patient de-escalation techniques when needed.
• Ability to work outside of normal working hours as needed.
High school diploma or GED equivalent.
• Demonstrated oral proficiency and fluency in English and target language through a verified Medical Interpretation & Code of Ethics Assessment or successful completion of a medical interpreting training with the ability to apply for an Interpretation Certification through Certification Commission for Healthcare Interpreters or the National Board of Certification for Medical Interpreters.
• Six (6) months of interpretation experience in a healthcare setting.
• One (1) year of interpretation experience in a healthcare setting.
Interpretation Certification through Certification Commission for Healthcare Interpreters or the National Board of Certification for Medical Interpreters.