Under general direction of the Payroll Supervisor, performs payroll functions to ensure timely and accurate processing of payroll transactions including salaries, stipends, benefits, garnishments, taxes, deductions and employee reimbursements. Supports Accounting team and department leaders in processing bi-weekly payroll. Ensures accurate and timely processing of payroll updates including new hires, terminations, and changes to pay rates. Provides payroll information by answering questions and creates reports based on requests from individuals and management. Other duties as assigned.
Essential Duties (at least 5 that are non-negotiable duties and are absolutely pertinent to successfully completing the job without accommodations):
Primary Accountabilities: The Payroll Specialist is responsible for all activities necessary to process payroll, including maintaining related records, preparing accounting transactions and documents, documenting and updating procedures and preparing reports for management.
• Prepares bi-weekly payroll for one organization.
• Responsible for the coordination efforts between payroll, human resources, budget and other departments to ensure proper flow and maintenance of employee data (including preparation/distribution of detailed reports, overtime, leave balances, head count, and retirement contribution reports)
• Handles the administration of the electronic timekeeping system. Monitors submissions of approved timesheets, ensure valid data transfers to/from payroll service
• Establish/maintain employee records; ensure that employee changes are entered correctly and made on a timely basis; review changes for proper authorization and adherence to APA policy including compliance with federal/state/local regulations
• Train new managers of task of processing timecards.
• Reconcile ADP Registers to the general ledger including wages expenses and payroll payables.
• Research and resolve technical payroll issues
• Propose and implement timekeeping and payroll process enhancements
• Prepare all deductions, garnishments and stipends accurately, timely and in accordance with company policies and governmental regulations
• Verifies retirement employer expense and works with HR & plan administrator on any corrections needed
• Maintains analysis of employee PTO balances, monitors against policy and initiates payouts for balances over max
• Maintains payroll accounting ledgers by reviewing and preparing account transactions.
• Responds to staff requests regarding payroll payment status and resolution of payment errors
• Audits quarterly 941s and annual W2s produced by ADP per IRS guidelines & timeline
• Maintains accounting controls and financial security by following policies, procedures internal controls.
• Remain up to date on payroll law and regulations to ensure compliance in pay practices
• Assists with special projects as assigned.
• Supports the diversity and inclusion initiatives of the organization.
• Completes required compliance trainings by scheduled deadline.
• Other duties as assigned, including department cross training and back up for other roles.
• Accounting principles
• Bookkeeping or record keeping procedures
• Financial reporting concepts and preferred business practices
• Records Management
• Business English and correspondence sufficient to compose and prepare letters
• Computer data entry and retrieval methods and procedures, capabilities, and limitations
• Customer Service skills
• Patience and the ability to remain calm in stressful situations.
• Excellent problem solving/judgment skills, and high level of attention to detail and accuracy
• Effective verbal and written communication
• Ability to work with angry or upset employees regarding pay issues
• Ensure organizational policies are met prior to payments
• Applying bookkeeping procedures
• Analyzing, preparing, checking and balancing routine fiscal transactions and accounts
• Microsoft Excel, including filters, pivot tables, basic formulas
• Maintaining timely workflow in a high-volume environment with high complexity and rapidly increasing volume and complexity
• Monitoring and keeping track of multiple items in various stages of completion and moving all forward to completion with all due speed
• Processing large volumes of numerical data
• Ability to record data/information
• Establishing work priorities to ensure completion of job tasks within a specified time frame
• Operating a personal computer and related equipment
• Maintain confidentiality of employee records
High School Diploma or GED
Associates Degree in Accounting or related field
4 years of experience in payroll/accounting work
Processing payroll for 500 to 1500 employees.